by Judy Lincoln
The Effects of Oil Spills on Birds
Parts of talk:
• Two major oil spills that affected birds (Exxon-Valdez and Deepwater Horizon)
• What kinds of birds are affected by oil spills?
• How does oil affect birds?
• Who is involved after an oil spill occurs and how do they help birds?
• Initial efforts by U.S. Geological Survey scientists to use computer modeling to predict what happens to birds that initially survive an oil spill
Info on presenter, Ben West:
Ben is a biologist at the U.S. Geological Survey Columbia Environmental Research Center. He studies the effects of oiling on bird migration using simulation modeling and works on other studies involving birds, fish, and crayfish.